Professor Luuk van Middelaar
- Chair, European Integration Committee
Professor Luuk van Middelaar (b. 1973) is Professor of Foundations and Practice of the European Union and its Institutions at Leiden University. He is also a columnist for NRC Handelsblad and De Standaard.
His books The Passage to Europe (2009) and Alarums and Excursions – Improvising Politics on the European Stage (2019) found a wide audience in Europe following their publication in many languages, including English, French, German, Spanish and Polish.
From 2010 to 2014, Professor Van Middelaar was speechwriter and political adviser to the president of the European Council, Herman van Rompuy. In 2009 he obtained his doctorate from the University of Amsterdam, having previously studied history and philosophy at the University of Groningen and the Sorbonne, and political theory at the School of Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences (EHESS) in Paris (1991-2000). From 2002 to 2004 he worked for the Office of the European Commissioner for Internal Market, Frits Bolkestein.
- Member of the Academic Committee of the House of European History, Brussels
- Member of the Scientific and Evaluation Council of Fondapol (Foundation for Political Innovation), Paris
AIV Advisory reports
Over the past five years Professor Van Middelaar has contributed to the following advisory reports:
- The Netherlands and the Global Approach to COVID-19, May 2020
- China and the Strategic Tasks for The Netherlands in Europe, June 2019
- Forming Coalitions in the EU after Brexit: Alliances for a European Union that Modernises and Protects, July 2018