Professor Jaap de Hoop Scheffer - Chair, AIV
Professor Jaap de Hoop Scheffer (b. 1948) is a professor at Leiden University’s faculty of Governance and Global Affairs in The Hague. From 2009 to 2014 he held the university’s Peter Kooijmans Chair for Peace, Law and Security. From 2002 to 2004 he served as Minister of Foreign Affairs, before becoming NATO Secretary-General, a post he held until 2009. On 22 June 2018 he was appointed Minister of State. Professor De Hoop Scheffer is the chair of the Netherlands Civil Honours Advisory Committee.
Between 1986 and 2002 he was a member of the Dutch House of Representatives for the CDA, first as a foreign policy spokesperson and later, from 1997 to 2002, as leader of the parliamentary party. Professor De Hoop Scheffer began his career in 1976 as a diplomat at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Member of the advisory board (‘Curatorium’) of the Confederation of Netherlands Industry and Employers (VNO-NCW)
- Member of the Trilateral Commission
- Member of the Board of the European Council on Foreign Relations
- Member of the Board of the Centre for European Policy Studies
- Trustee of Friends of Europe