Professor Ernst Hirsch Ballin
- Chair, Human Rights Committee
Professor Ernst Hirsch Ballin (b. 1950) is a distinguished university professor at Tilburg University and Professor of Human Rights Law at the University of Amsterdam. He is also President of the Asser Institute – Centre for International and European Law in The Hague. Since 2005, he has been a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Professor Hirsch Ballin studied law at the University of Amsterdam where he received a doctorate in 1979 for his dissertation on public law and policy, focusing on fundamental issues surrounding the work of the Scientific Council for Government Policy. Since 1981 he has been a professor at the law faculty of Tilburg University, stepping down periodically in the years when he held political office.
He served as Minister of Justice in the fourth Balkenende government (2007-2010), the third Balkenende government (2006-2007) and the third Lubbers government (1989-1994). From 1989 to 1994 he was also Minister for Netherlands Antillean and Aruban Affairs. From February to October 2010 he held the post of Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations in the fourth Balkenende government.
From 1994 to 1995 Professor Hirsch Ballin was a member of the Dutch House of Representatives, and from 1995 to 2000 he was a member of the Senate. From 1999 to 2000 he was a member of the European Convention that drafted the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. He was subsequently appointed to the Council of State (2000 - 2006), and he chaired its Administrative Jurisdiction Division from 2003 to 2006.
- Advisory member, Scientific Council for Government Policy
- Vice-chair of the Board of Vereniging Achmea (Achmea association of insured persons) (in which capacity he is a board member of the trust offices of Achmea and Achmea Tussenholding BV)
- Chair of the Board of the Achmea Foundation
- Chair of the Supervisory Board of the Anne Frank House foundation
- Chair of the Scientific Council of the Instituut Gak foundation
- Chair of the Octavia van Breemen foundation
- Member of the Netherlands Committee of Human Rights Watch
AIV Advisory reports
Over the past five years Professor Hirsch Ballin has contributed to the following advisory reports:
- Sustainable Development Goals and Human Rights, May 2019
- Fundamental Rights in the Kingdom of the Netherlands: Equivalent Protection in all Parts of the Kingdom, June 2018
- The Will of the People? The Erosion of Democracy under the Rule of Law in Europe, June 2017
- EU-Ukraine Association Agreement: The Need for Ratification, December 2016
- The Future of Schengen, March 2016
- Deployment of Rapid-Reaction Forces, October 2015